One of the popular recipe transforming tofu into a salad or a dish on its own, this recipe can also be made vegetarian without the use of shrimp paste (belachan/trassi). Tahu Goreng is popular in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. In this recipe instead of using tamarind juice which is common in the making of rojak, we are using kaffir lime juice which gives a more vibrant freshness to the dish. This dish can be eaten on its own during lunch or accompanied with rice as a side dish during dinner.
Servings: 2 people
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- To Blend
- 2 pieces kaffir lime extract the juice. also known as limau jeruk
- 1 piece kaffir lime grate the skin
- 1 piece clove garlic, chop finely
- 2 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 200 ml water
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 0.5 tsp belachan (dried shrimp paste),flame up belachan on top of open stove fire or belachan powder
- Other Ingredients
- 500 gram tofu ,firm tofu for frying
- 285 gram roasted peanuts without skin and unsalted blend coarsely
- Blend peanut coarsely and set aside. Set aside 2 tablespoon of blended peanuts for garnishing.
- Blend dark soya sauce, sweet soya sauce, garlic, water, juice of kaffir lime and take 1 kaffir lime and grate the skin, brown sugar,chili paste,belachan.
- Taste. If necessary add salt or more sweet soya sauce.
- Heat up a pan and add the blended ingredients (soya sauce mixture) and peanut.
- On low fire, stir for a 8 minutes until the mixture thicken slightly.
- Off the fire and let it cool down.
- Heat up a pan/wok with some sunflower oil. When the oil is hot, fry the tofu until golden brown and set aside. Make sure the oil is enough to cover the tofu in the pan/wok.
- In a separate pot blanch the bean sprouts for 10 seconds. Drain and set aside in a bowl.
- Cut cucumber into small thin slices. Set aside.
- In a serving plate or bowl, place the tofu in the middle, top it with bean sprouts and cucumber.
- Pour the soya sauce peanut mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining coarse peanuts.
- Sprinkle the chives for garnishing.
- Ready to serve.